Tuesday 19 December 2017

Christmas Rant

So it is the season of joy and good will to all men, right? Well from some recent observations this hasn't been what I have seen.

At least twice in the last week, may I add TWICE, I have been out Christmas shopping and my ears were offended at hearing couples argue.

I don't just mean disagree but full on screaming at the top of their voices! One Indian man in GAP shouted at his poor wife,

"How dare you disrespect me! 
Get away from me! 
Get away!" 



I can only begin to imagine his use of language when not in full view of the general public but behind closed doors. There was silence from the rest of the shoppers. I was disappointed that no one came to the aid of the clearly long suffering wife, who hung her head in shame - myself included. It is difficult to judge when to intervene when couples are airing their dirty laundry in public.

Is shouting at your spouse a passionate way to communicate? 
Or is it abusive? 

Couples argue all the time, that isn't new. Christmas is also a very stressful time for lots of people, that also isn't news. Speaking unkindly and in an aggressive way to someone....well I thought mankind had reached a point of civility in which we are now beyond that.

Any ex-boyfriend of mine, who has ever shouted at me, will tell you, that I am off in a flash - like Rudolph's nose in the night sky! But people do have different ways that are acceptable for them to communicate with each other.

Yes, there are far superior ways to disagree with someone than publicly humiliate them, even if they have disrespected you to start with. While I doubt this was the case with my Indian friends in GAP, it did make me wonder why, at the close of 2017, shouting at your spouse, during the season of joy and goodwill, was not squashed by those in ear shot. Perhaps everyone else was like myself, in shock from the whole show.

Whatever the reason, I hope the poor woman in question is okay and not suffering more than we saw in public behind closed doors. My vivid imagination is reminded that many people suffer at Christmas instead of celebrating.

Should you, or someone you know need support, at any time, 24/7 call Lifeline on 13 11 14.


No comments:

Post a Comment