Monday 11 December 2017

'tis the season to be....single!

Christmas is just around the corner and everyone seems to be joyfully getting ready to celebrate with their loved ones. When you are single, this is the season that can seriously suck...second only to Valentines Day in my opinion.

Christmas can include office close down and extended periods off work. Here in Australia most of the country is off work until the end of January and if you are single or alone during this time it can be quite difficult. There are also many great things you can do alone that people may not consider doing alone but from my experience are very enjoyable. 



Here is what rates most highly for me....

Anything involving food (or great coffee) is up on my list of things to do, especially if it is a nice little cafe or casual dining place that has some hustle and bustle. It can be great to people watch and relax as the rest of the world is rushing by. Sometimes I will take something to read with me but more often I find a table in a secluded spot and happily observe the world around me. It can be quite a luxury to eat in peace and not having to worry about quickly finishing a mouthful of food before politely responding to someone. Eating out alone means you can finish every mouthful exactly when you are ready! Delicious. 



Shopping! Yes, shopping is the best when you are alone - apart from the fact that you have to carry your own bags but it is a sacrifice that's worth it. There is no one to slow you down and indecision is limited because you don't need to debate about the purchase. When you are alone you can quickly assess the pros and cons, make a decision and off you go to happily the next shop. Easy. Efficient and way less stressful. Even better if you get some bargains in the sales! 


One thing I would like to enjoy alone is going away on holiday. I have tried this a couple of times and never enjoyed it. It just isn't for me. I think this is due to my personal taste because I know that many people do enjoy solo travel - for me it is a miserable experience not being able to talk about the experiences as you live them and worse there is no one to share the memories with in the future. The consequence is that I don't have many holidays these days, which also isn't ideal...especially as many of my old travel buddies are now happily coupled up. Grrrrr.

People often tell me they enjoy going to the movies alone. I haven't tried it myself, mainly because I don't go to the movies that often. Perhaps I will put this on my list of things to do this Christmas?.... Problem is that I am one of those annoying people who likes to have a little chat throughout the movie. That's a bit tricky if you are alone....


Clearly there are some activities that are more palatable alone than others, maybe that is just me?... 

There are also lots of other activities that single people can be a part of over Christmas and involved connecting with other people. Volunteering is a great way to get connected in the local community and give back. There are many soup kitchens, hostels, churches and other charities that struggle to meet the increased demands they see at Christmas and so it is a great time to get stuck in a give back. Often I think when we take our eyes off ourselves and serve others we will truly feel fulfillment whether you are single or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment