Sunday 24 June 2018

Chasing love, chasing me!

Recently one afternoon I was walking back to the office  after a meeting (yep, I have a day job). I had been at a meeting and was lost in my thoughts as I marched down the street and plotting what I was going to have for lunch. As usual I walked past various cafes, full of people as I was entirely absorbed in my thoughts (spicy lentil soup, yum!) as well as my to-do list for the rest of the afternoon. 

Suddenly I heard someone shouting from behind me "Excuse me! Excuse me!" I decided they weren't talking to me and carried on with my mission. 

"EXCUSE ME" they were getting louder. I turned on my heel and realized the guy was talking to me. Had I forgotten to pay for my coffee? Don't think so. Had I dropped something? I checked my bag, nope all seemed well. He didn't seem lost or like he needed directions.


I looked at the guy curiously as he walked up to me. "Excuse me," he said, "I'm sorry to stop you but I just had to tell you that you are incredibly beautiful." 

I was speechless. "What?........ummmm.....okay....thank-you" I replied quite confused, ready to keep walking. Slightly annoyed and bewildered by his interruption.

He continued, "You just walked past me, while I was having coffee with my mates and I don't mean to be creepy but I just had to tell you how incredibly beautiful you are." Creepy? Maybe? He had chased me down the street. I just looked at him blankly. I hadn't ever seen this guy before. Did I just walk past him? I didn't know what to say. 

He carried on "I noticed you weren't wearing a ring. Are you single?" I looked at my ring-less fingers, wondering if I should have accessorized more! Probably. I looked him up and down half expecting him to grab my handbag and make a dash. What did he want?

I was so surprised by his bold approach. He repeated his question before I could respond asking again, 

"Do you have a partner?" 

Isn't this the moment that every single person would love to avoid?! Oh dear, what do I say? I wasn't in the best mindset to clearly think about what he was asking me - I was hungry after all! 

There were a couple of things about him that made me think he wasn't my type. Yet there was something sincere that I appreciated about him, maybe it was his courage in being so upfront and direct about his intentions.

Rarely have I been this lost for words!

I replied reluctantly that "I was getting to know someone" and he looked back at me hopefully and asked, "Is that me?" I laughed probably a bit too much and he requested that I take his number. I thanked him for his kind words towards me and said I wished him all the very best and politely declined to take his number. 

As I reflect on this interaction I realize that this guy was really putting himself out there to chase what he is looking for and went after what he wanted as soon as he saw it, regardless of the consequences and the possibility of looking foolish, even in front of his mates! 

There is no way I would be that bold... 
but should I?

I cannot help but admire him and wonder how many other men I have come across who are chasing love but are unprepared to put their neck on the line. His sheer bold approach to me was something I have never before experienced. 

I am quite sure that I am not the only woman he has liked the look of and chased down the street but I am confident that eventually he will find what he is looking for. Good on him. Perhaps there would be more people around finding fulfillment if only they too approached what we are looking for in this same way...

No comments:

Post a Comment