Tuesday 29 May 2018

What on earth was I thinking? The blessing of hindsight...

As I reflect back on certain dates and how I allowed some of them to progress into relationships (very short lived, thankfully), I have found myself wondering "What on earth was I thinking?" It takes sufficient time to elapse to have this wonderful insight and it isn't very helpful in the moment but in hindsight I must have surely been on another planet, captured by aliens or somehow off with the fairies to see these boys more than once!


For example...

Luke* a seemingly nice guy who within a few weeks I realized was actually not so nice at all. No. Luke turned out to be a paranoid hypochondriac and that was the least of his issues! Poor Luke had more issues than Vogue. Indeed, when I got really unwell (with hay fever) he was absolutely convinced that I had maliciously infected him with my allergies as well. Yeah Luke was no doctor and clearly had no idea that allergic reactions are actually not contagious, especially infectious enough to jump across a dinner table and attack his immunity! I was delighted to self medicate myself out of that relationship. 

Amusingly, Luke was prepared to "be the bigger person" and "give me a second chance"! Such generosity! I took my box of tissues (for my runny nose and eyes - there were no tears shed for him) and moved on, in fact it took me longer to get over my hay fever than Luke. So I happily never gave him a second thought, let alone a second chance.  Until now, when I reflect "what on earth was I thinking?" 


Russ** once again a seemingly decent dude (aren't they all at the start) until after a little while it became evident that not only was he in love with another woman (yep, I pick them so well) but the other woman wasn't of the human species but a canine. Yes, Russ was in love with his mutt. Truly. (I can already hear your laughter, even my dear mother still finds this hilarious,which it is.) Now as I have already explained I have allergies, they are pretty severe and I get so unwell that I can barely breathe. It was very evident that Russ's doggy darling also made me very unwell. 

Russ had slightly more compassion than Luke (mainly has Luke had zero compassion) as he did on occasions attempt to remove some of the dog hair that totally smothered his car for me and didn't blame me for getting unwell. Still it impacted me, so I would desperately try not to breathe while we were in transit and even on some occasions found it beneficial to act like his first love and hang my head out of the window and drool at passing cars, or pigeons or whatever as it saved me from turning blue from holding my breath for too long or the alternative of inhaling half a dog! 

Alas my efforts were futile as Russ announced his deal breaker was someone who cannot live with a dog, and all the while there was me holding my breath so that I could co-exist with the mutt to be with Russ! Can't say I didn't try but yes, I know, breathing is important in life. Yep, "what on earth was I thinking?" Lack of oxygen does impact the brain function, don't you know?...


Hopefully my judgement has since improved after these disasters with Luke and Russ. What is the lesson from all of this? We all make mistakes and live and learn from them, in my case I can also laugh quite a lot, thanks guys! I think this is one of the downfalls of dating - there are always some disasters but that is the fun of it (if you can call it fun having such bad allergies that not only destroy relationships but make you so unwell you cannot breathe!) but you know what I mean. 

Ultimately dating is about spending time with someone until you realize you no longer want to do so or that you want to take things further. In that light, I have been quite efficient in realizing just how unsuitable these guys have been for me, and me for them! So then, what on earth was I thinking?... I suppose I simply wasn't thinking at all. I gave it a go with these two crazies, which hindsight has revealed, wasn't a good idea at all, and that my friends is the moral of this story! 



*Luke was definitely not called Luke, take that as Gospel.
** Russ is the appropriate name of choice because he was like a jack RUSSel = a bit small and yappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment