Friday 5 May 2017

Tough Moments

As a single person there are things that you often have to do alone. It sounds obvious but there are certain moments in life when it would be better to have someone else to walk alongside you. I have given up complaining that there is no one to take the trash out for me once in a while. I am now over that but sometimes life would be a bit better to journey alongside someone who can share the highs and lows with you. Mainly the lows! 

You know the kind of moments I mean?....Like when there is a spider or cockroach trespassing in the house, or trying to open a jar for the first time.... building flat pack furniture, urgh. Those are some of the moments where I simply detest my singleness. Singleness, sometimes I loathe you!

There are other times when it would be nice, a luxury even, to have someone to hangout with and do fun stuff, like going to the movies or romantic walks along the beach but I can live without them, for now! I am thinking more about moments where it is practical to have a good guy in your life. 

A great one would be even better!

Currently I am going through the horrendous but exciting process of purchasing my first property. I imagine it to be a bit like childbirth, in as much as if you knew what was involved before you did it you wouldn't do it. To make matters worse for me, it has been a process that, of course, is nothing like my childhood fantasy where home ownership would seamlessly coincide with my wonderfully beautiful wedding and gorgeous husband. Nope. 

Absolutely not. 

In fact this process has been entirely devoid of my wedding and therefore husband. Yet the turbulent housing market in Sydney indicates that if you don't get onto the property ladder quickly, you can quickly be out priced of the market, with the sky-rocket prices and sheer affordability. Indeed, Sydney is becoming so expensive that home ownership is nearly impossible. As if I don't have enough to worry about!

After being a serial renter, I had a shocking realization of the fragility of my housing situation when my rent was increased to a level that was almost affordable! I was given 21 days to act on it!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

So, the brave (maybe foolish?) being that I am, I took the leap of faith and purchased a property that appeared to make sense for me ,and my financial situation, as well as lifestyle. I had put off the idea of buying property for a number of years and I am blessed to have a number of good friends who are now pseudo property advisers to me now! Thank God for good friends, especially as a reminder that you aren't truly going it alone.

Singleness is one thing, homelessness is another and that is a reality that I am determined to avoid. My strategy was simple - find the lowest cost rental accommodation in the area, agree a longer term least at the lower level of rent, cut back on all other expenses and the save all my money like crazy to get my own place and never rent again.
It worked, pretty much.

I am now a few years down the track and very used to my low cost life style which has enabled me to almost complete the sale of contract on my new apartment. Yay! 



I have learnt quite a few lessons along the way as well....like having a plan and sticking to it really pays off. Of course it can be tough sometimes, really tough actually and even quite painful, not to mention boring (think "sorry I can't come out to dinner I need to go home and eat canned food so that I can buy a property").

In fact, I was shocked to learn from my mortgage adviser that I had actually been existing below the poverty line because my living expenses were so low as I was saving so much of my income! I know most people buying property in large cities would be in a similar situation but I can't help resenting the notion that having a partner alongside me during this process would ease this burden. 

A second salary would of course be helpful when making such an enormous purchase even if we both enjoyed romantic evenings over a can of baked beans, at least you would be in the same boat together. Perhaps we could have even advanced to frozen food, alongside canned goods... yet that is not the way it has been for me and so I have had to accept that my expectations have brought disappointment and regardless go for it  irrespective of circumstances.



I also learnt that my challenging sacrifices are worthwhile because now I have a wonderful achievement on my doorstep (may I note that will be a door step that I will own) and I have independently set myself up for the future. Beyonce would be proud. 

Go me!

I have had to accept that my expectations of getting a property are not realistic and to wait for the man of my dreams to do it would be foolish of me. Perhaps he will at least turn up to help me shift the boxes when I move in!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment