Sunday 19 March 2017

Mr Gloves

Sometimes there are things that occur on a date that are simply inexplicable and no matter how hard you try there is simply no explanation and you are left forever wondering....why?

After a few conversations online with Craig* we met one evening for a drink. It was a Sydney winter, which isn't cold, compared to winters in many countries. In fact, in my mind it doesn't even truly classify as a winter - it's not like the ground is covered in ice or snow, or both! The temperature was about 15c and for some northern hemisphere countries that is almost the same temperature as at the height of summer! So you get the picture, it was far from Arctic. I would go as far to say the weather was 'mild' and this is one of the reasons I love Sydney. 

I met Craig in a cafe inside of a large shopping centre - so we were indoors and not outside in the MILD winter temperatures but nice and WARM indoors. 

On meeting each other, Craig politely shook my hand.  I noted that this was a very nice gesture from Craig and very gentlemanly of him.  I did, however notice that he was wearing gloves. Craig shook my hand while wearing gloves. Skiing gloves. We were indoors - it is officially winter, I suppose.

Gloves?


Craig had excitedly informed me of the milkshake that he was planning on having. (Probably a super freezing cold milkshake that can only be consumed when appropriately gloved, I decided.) It seemed Craig was quite familiar with this particular cafe. Almost.

I ordered my usual soy latte and Craig requested his usual (some kind of milkshake), only to be informed that it was no longer on the menu. "WHAT?" Craig shouted out. I was startled by his outburst which made me jump. I guess I was on edge. It must have been a great milkshake because he was so disappointed that he couldn't decide what to have instead. 

GLOVES...

The lady serving us explained that there was another option that was very similar to what he had initially requested and although Craig didn't seem too comforted by her suggestion, he reluctantly agreed.

We sat down at a table and I tried to steer the conversation to get to know him more. Craig seemed nervous and couldn't look at me directly in the eye. Surely I am not that intimidating? Or unattractive? I tried to smile more than usual and make light jokes to help ease the tension and get the conversation going.


It was hard work.


When our drinks arrived Craig seemed relieved. I noticed that he still had his gloves on even though we were well inside and it was nice and warm, not at all cold. 

Craig proceeded to quite literally DIG into his milkshake, which actually was more of an ice cream sundae. It was covered in cream and soon so were his gloves! Yes, he was still wearing his gloves. Perhaps they were required so that he could adequately dive into his milkshake? Probably.


G.L.O.V.E.S!


The conversation was staggered and quite difficult. I increasingly became more fascinated by his gloves as the evening wore on. Craig had been uncomfortable throughout the evening and so I didn't want to ask him about them with the risk of causing him embarrassment. Instead I just used my imagination to cover as many possible reasons as I could think of....

Perhaps he had poor circulation? Or maybe he had terrible burns? I hope not!... 

Perhaps he was about to leave for a ski trip and he was actually just very organised and ready to hit the sloped immediately? Yes, Craig was surely be about to catch a flight to go skiing for two weeks in Japan or the Alps, or Japan and then the Alps.... 





Actually Craig was perhaps a Michael Jackson fan and wore them in memory of the pop legend?... 

Perhaps he isn't actually an accountant like he told me but in fact Craig was indeed a mime artist and just said he was an accountant to distract me from his craft? 




Yes, I hope that is the reason..... 

Surely Craig was a mime artist...he barely spoke!

I like to think that I totally had finally figured out Craig and his gloves. I definitely considered many of the possible reasons why he would keep them on and yet I remain perplexed by my gloved date. Of course don't really know what the truth was with his gloves and why he didn't take them off. It was very bizarre.  I was sure there must be a reasonable explanation that I was simply never privy to. I never will find out the reason behind the mystery glove wearing and I quite like that in some ways.

Our conversation didn't ever get to discuss his gloves. Craig was so nervous that I didn't want to ask him directly. Besides trying to guess the reasons why he wore gloves for the entire evening was so entertaining and it still is today! 

Happily I am quite sure I was correct in asserting that Craig is in fact a very talented mime artist and is now successfully progressing in his career with the circus somewhere..... 



On deeper reflection, I didn't take my coat off for the entire date. 

Perhaps in reality Craig was as ready to leave as I was? 

Yes, Craig wasn't feeling the love either. Some dates there is just no connection. I was amused when I noticed the barrister had drawn a heart in the foam on top of my coffee. 

So it wasn't the best date but did I happen to mention that for the entire time Craig wore gloves! Gloves.....




*name changed so that you don't know who he is...but if you happen to see a mime artist, with a big milkshake, skiing in Japan...


No comments:

Post a Comment