Saturday 22 July 2017

PULLING THE PLUG - knowing when your relationship is over

What childhood stories fail to inform us about Prince Charming is that the bugger doesn't actually exist! I grew up looking for this dude, who of course was never there! If I ever meet my non-Prince Charming and end up having a daughter I will be sure that she knows very early on that she should not be looking for a Prince Charming....likewise a son, should not be looking for a Cindarella. 

Once upon a time I dated a wonderful guy who was everything I was looking for. He was very close indeed to being Prince Charming. Or so I hoped.... yet the Cindarella's and Prince Charming's of this world are simply not in this world, which is why we like them and their perfection. 

My Prince Charming I were very happy to overlook most of our imperfections because those flaws, while annoying, are what make us human. Of course, it is always good to work on ourselves individually as well together in a relationship but some things are simply deal breakers. 

The full story is longer than Rapunzel's hair but in short we got on well, had all the right stuff in common (mostly), deeply trusted each other and valued each other, for many years. What could go wrong?....Perhaps we were living in fantasy land? We were happy and surely that is what counts? Or perhaps we should have worked harder to build a stronger foundation together to ensure our relationship forwards into the future, especially our modes of  communication. Yep. 

Having this reaslisation has been nothing short of heartbreaking because amid all things, he was charming. So all was not well in our little magical world of apparent happiness. Okay sometimes it was terrible. So terrible it ultimately became fatal but that's the risk of dating. 

Communication was so disjointed between us that sometimes my Charming darling would say things like, "I know you are upset but you shouldnt be because I haven't done anything wrong." Perhaps he hadn't done anything but the very fact that I wanted to chat shouldn't have been overlooked. Surely at times like this communication is more essential than ever?  Instead was seen as a dripping tap that I should simply turn off because it shouldnt be on. Feelings arent like that. 

Prince Charming couldn't get off his white horse to meet me where I was and his white horse was too big for me to climb and so we were stuck. Over time things were not improving but getting worse and I was increasingly being dismissed to the extent that I didn't even want to see him as a result. You always know it isn't a good thing when you don't want to see the guy you are meant to be seeing!

Of course this wasn't the only issue we were facing, and I was far from blameless and regretfully we caused each other great pain. Indeed, there were a number of other complexities we were unable to work through in our two years together yet our differing modes of communication, including my diabolical grasp of his native language and subsequent inability to assimilate within his culture, made bringing our lives together impossible. We came to the distressing conclusion that we could not go on and we had to make our own separate ways into the sunset, hopefully happily ever after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment